After writing in my last post about the various classes of train travel in India I thought it might be useful for anyone thinking of travelling to Mumbai if I also outlined the main classes of taxi driver that one might come across in the city.
No. 1 - The born salesman
This guy always wants to take you to a shop - usually his brother's shop, or sometimes his friend's. They are always "very cheap" and usually nowhere near the place you want to go. And normally sells carpets. Just say no. A lot.
Typical conversation:
Me: Can you take me to the Atria Mall?
The Born Salesman: You want to go shopping? I know a very good shop. Very cheap. We go there?
Me: No, my office is opposite Atria Mall
T.B.S.: But this is very cheap shop. My brother's shop. You look - just look, no buy.
Me: No. I need to go to my office. For work. Not shopping.
T.B.D.: But you like shopping? Tomorrow I take you? Very good shop, very cheap. You like.
Me: Hmmmmm, maybe. But now we got to office, ha?
On their days off I believe theis type of driver can be found selling drums and big balloons (yes really) down Colaba Causeway -
"You want a drum?"
"No"
"Very cheap!"
"I DON'T WANT A DRUM"
"Listen" *taps drum* "Very good, very nice"
"I DON'T WANT A DRUM"
"Camel skin, very cheap -you want?"
"I DON'T WANT A DRUM"
"OK, you tell me your price. Very cheap. As you like"
"I DON'T WANT A DRUM"
etc....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment